- "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi
- "The dog was created specially for children. He is the god of
frolic." -- Henry Ward Beecher
- "A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around
three times before lying down." -- Robert Benchley
- "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he
loves himself." --Billings
- "The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of
yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he
will make a fool of himself too." -- Samuel Butler
- "I may want to hire commercial cleaning services some days but there's no better feeling than coming
home and being welcomed by your dog."- Anonymous
- "Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their
universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They
serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal
man has ever made." -- Roger Caras
- "One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him." -- Chinese Proverb
- "I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited
creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better."
-- George Bird Evans, "Troubles with Bird Dogs"
- "My dog is usually pleased with what I do, because she is not
infected with the concept of what I "should" be doing."
-- Lonzo Idolswine
- "They [dogs] never talk about themselves but listen to you
while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being
interested in the conversation." -- Jerome K. Jerome
- "Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job."
-- Franklin P. Jones
- "I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a
little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd
look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I
wouldn't have to.'" -- Fred Jungclaus
- "Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or
discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to
be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
-- Milan Kundera
- "No one appreciates
the very special genius
of your conversation
as the dog does."
-- Christopher Morley
- "I wonder what goes through his mind when he sees us peeing in
his water bowl." -- Penny Ward Moser
- "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own,
having a dog makes you rich." -- Louis Sabin
- "I once decided not to date a guy because he wasn't excited to
meet my dog. I mean, this was like not wanting to meet my mother."
-- Bonnie Schacter, Founder of the Single Pet Owner's Society Singles
- "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to
choose a relative." -- Mordecai Siegal
- "You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be
there long before any of us." -- Robert Louis Stevenson
- "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will
not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a
man." -- Mark Twain
- "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You
are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true,
to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of
such devotion." -- Unknown
- "One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is his tail wags
instead of his tongue." -- Unknown
- "The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this
selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never
proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. . . .
He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the
wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the
world. . . .When all other friends desert, he remains."
-- George G. Vest
- "My little dog---a heartbeat at my feet." -- Edith Wharton
- "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your
face." -- Ben Williams